Sunday, November 25, 2007

synthesizing experience (with corrected text)

the word monad kept folding and unfolding itself inside the head of me this week, I knew the word but did not know its meaning or history – it was simply just a play on the words of this residency. Tonight i was immersed in paul auster's the invention of solitude, when i started reading about monadism - in relation to knowing that at any point in space the everything that is already occurring; basically that within language and experience, one can through their perception experience seemingly separate points within time as distinctly in rhyme with each other.
I decided to do a bit of research and found some interesting definitions:

monadism refers to essential oneness

in gnosticism it is the primal aspect of god.

Leibnitz wrote a book called monadology, in which monads are a basic unit of
perceptual reality. (insert - 27.11.07: my reading here then differs from the postmodern usage of the term and embraces it as a word opening the notion that at all points - simultaneously - 'reality' is being lived (pluralist not mono) - and is connected -.)

I like it.

The reason I write this is due to an agreement a few of us nomads made this week to record our experiences of our journey’s synthesizing (seemingly separate yet corresponding elements falling together towards a final contraction). and then… the other day i wrote in my audiologue (which will be part of my final installation): "close your eyes. now, close your eyes". Tonight (just before reading auster’s business on monadism, Petter and I were listening to The Books and one of their tracks holds the words: "with your eyes closed, close your eyes." the first time i heard them was here and maybe i heard them with my eyes closed and only later listened to what was said when my eyes were open - when i was writing.
the nice thing is that the auster book is as much about synthesizing experience as it is memory, solitude, writing and otherness.

i like it.

I also like that within the world of seeming coincidence what I’ve said here is nothing, almost weightless. Yet, to me, that is a cool thing about this method of perceiving perception, it means when one starts looking into it - it is connected and that these experiences we think or tell do not have to be “blow my mind/indisputable” evidence of magic or poignancy.

It just is.

And I like it.

No comments: